The War organized from the Ternois
Auxi-le-Château: This site was chosen during the German advance of March 1918, when the RFC had to abandon some of its forward aerodromes. The first unit based here was No. 8 Squadron, who arrived on 6 April 1918 with their Armstrong Whitworth Big Acks. They were joined by the 52 Squadron on 30 June, operating the RE8. Both units were still based here on the late afternoon of July 9, when an unknown SE5a landed in order to ask for directions. After a few minutes, he took off again and crashed, dying a couple of hours later. The pilot of this unknown SE5a happened to be the famous Major McCudden, one of the aces of the Royal Air Force. (Source: Airfields & Airmen: Arras, Mike O’Connor)
Diverse information enabled us to locate three others aerodromes:
Brias: No. 40 Squadron was based at Brias from June to October 1918, at this period, their flight-commander was Roderic Dallas, an Australian, top ace as well. He is buried in Pernes British Cemetery.
Boffles: When McCudden crashes in a wood near Auxi-le-Château’s aerodrome, he was in fact on its way to meet its new Squadron, the 60 Squadron whose command he was supposed to take.
Humières: Several pictures on the Imperial War Museum website enable to locate an aerodrome near Humières. It accommodated the 32 Squadron from April to May 1918 (pictures available here). This Squadron was equipped with Sopwith Camel.